- Submission Guidelines
- Review Process
- Privacy Notice
- Article Reprint Permission
- Postal Information
- Submitting to JVBL
Submission Guidelines for The Journal of Values-Based Leadership
The Journal of Values-Based Leadership invites you to submit manuscripts for review and possible publication. The JVBL is dedicated to supporting people who seek to create more ethically and socially-responsive organizations through leadership and education. The Journal publishes articles that provide knowledge that is intellectually well-developed and useful in practice. The JVBL is a peer-reviewed journal available in both electronic and print fora. The readership includes business and government leaders, academics, and students interested in the study and analysis of critical issues affecting the practice of values-based leadership. The JVBL is dedicated to publishing articles related to:
- 1. Leading with integrity, credibility, and morality;
- 2. Creating ethical, values-based organizations;
- 3. Balancing the concerns of stakeholders, consumers, labor and management, and the environment; and
- 4. Teaching students how to understand their personal core values and how such values impact organizational performance.
In addition to articles that bridge theory and practice, the JVBL is interested in book reviews, case studies, personal experience articles, and pedagogical papers. If you have a manuscript idea that addresses facets of principled or values-based leadership, but you are uncertain as to its propriety to the mission of the JVBL, please contact its editor. While manuscript length is not a major consideration in electronic publication, we encourage contributions of less than 20 pages of double-spaced narrative. As the JVBL is in electronic format, we especially encourage the submission of manuscripts which utilize visual text.
Manuscripts will be acknowledged immediately upon receipt. All efforts will be made to complete the review process within 4-6 weeks.***NOTE THAT SUBMISSIONS FOR THE WINTER/SPRING 2018 ISSUE ARE CLOSED. NEW SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER JANUARY 2, 2018.***
The JVBL seeks work that is clearly written and relevant to the Journal’s central theme, yet imbued with analytical and intellectual excellence. In this respect, the editorial review board shall consist of both leading scholars and respected high-level business leaders. All manuscripts undergo a two-stage review process:
1) The editor and/or his or her representative will conduct a cursory review to determine if the manuscript is appropriate for inclusion in the JVBL by examining the relevance of the topic and its appeal to the Journal’s target readership. The editor may: a) reject the manuscript outright, b) request submission of a revised manuscript which will then be subject to a comprehensive in-house review, or c) forward the manuscript for review pursuant to the provisions of the following paragraph.
2) Unless specifically invited, the manuscript will be subject to a minimum of two reviews, depending upon the nature of the manuscript. Once reviews are returned, the editor may: a) accept the manuscript without modification, b) accept the document with specific changes noted, c) offer the author(s) the opportunity to revise and resubmit the manuscript in response to the reviewers’ and editors’ comments and notations, or d) reject the manuscript. To be considered publishable, the manuscript must be accepted by at least one of each type of reviewer.
The material contained in this Journal is protected by copyright and may be replicated only in a manner that is consistent with JVBL’s mission, goals, and activities. Commercial replication is strictly prohibited. Prohibited uses include but are not limited to the copying, renting, leasing, selling, distributing, transmitting, or transfer of all or any portions of the material, or use for any other commercial and/or solicitation purposes of any type, or in connection with any action taken that violates the JVBL’s copyright. The material is not to be used for mass communications without express written consent, but may be downloaded for purposes of individual member use and communication. All other uses are prohibited without prior written authorization from the JVBL. For any information concerning the appropriate use of the material, please contact JVBL editor Elizabeth Gingerich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article Reprint Permission
No article may be republished in whole or in part without the written permission of the publisher. Send requests to reprint in writing to Editor Elizabeth Gingerich at 1909 Chapel Drive, Room 207, Valparaiso, Indiana 46383, email@example.com, 1.219.464.5044, fax: 1.219.464.5789. Please remember that existing artwork or images that you may want to include in a new work may be protected under copyright law. The unauthorized incorporation of such material into your new work could be a violation of the rights of the copyright owner. Please be sure to obtain any permission required from the copyright owner.
The Journal of Values-Based Leadership is published on-line biannually in Winter/Spring and Summer/Fall by the Valparaiso University Press, c/o College of Business, Valparaiso University, 1909 Chapel Drive, Valparaiso, Indiana 46383. To receive a bound hard copy of any issue PRIOR TO 2014, please remit the sum of $10.00 per copy to the Valparaiso College of Business – JVBL, and indicate which issue and the quantity of copies desired together with your current mailing address and telephone number. Please visit the Journal at http://www.valuesbasedleadershipjournal.com for additional information. To report a change of address, contact the Valparaiso University College of Business, 1909 Chapel Drive, Room 207, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Indiana 46383, (tel): 1.219.464.5044 or e-mail Elizabeth Gingerich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The content of all articles, reports, case studies, book reviews, and surveys contained herein reflect the views of its individual authors, submitters, and/or interviewees and, unless expressly so indicated in the text, do not necessarily represent the position of the Valparaiso University College of Business.