- General Guidelines of A Common Thread
- Poetry Guidelines
- Fiction and Flash Fiction Guidelines
- Artwork/Photography/Comics Guidelines
- Drama/Screenplay Guidelines
- Creative Nonfiction and Creative Flash Nonfiction Guidelines
General Guidelines of A Common Thread
Please scroll down the page to view guidelines for specific genres.**Unpublished writers and artists are especially encouraged to submit**
1. All submissions need to fit the theme of the particular issue. All pieces must be submitted individually, in separate documents.
2. All written submissions must be typed using a 12 point standard font, preferably Times New Roman.
3. Submissions are accepted through the website only. File format must be Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or .pdf. (No email or mail submissions accepted.)
4. Please include name, e-mail address, and title of your piece on the first page of your submission. If requested, anonymous publication is available, but please include your name and contact information in your submission so that we can reach you.
5. Submissions must be previously unpublished, original work. Simultaneous submissions to other journals are allowed; however, please notify us as soon as possible if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
Send up to 5 poems per issue. Total submission should not exceed 10 pages.
Fiction and Flash Fiction Guidelines
Send fiction up to 3,000 words in length, flash fiction up to 500 words in length. Submit up to 3 stories per issue. Please double space all stories and include a word count.
Send up to 5 pieces of original artwork or photography per issue. All artwork and photography must be original and unpublished elsewhere, and cannot have won prizes in competitions online or otherwise.
300 dpi images only; JPG preferred. Artwork and photographs that are not digital must be scanned, not photographed (Exception: 3D art can be photographed). Photographs are allowed to be edited with photo editing software. Digitally generated art such as Adobe Illustrator vector art may be submitted in pdf format.
For Comics, please keep comics submissions to seven (7) pages or less.
Drama must be a standalone piece, and must be one act or shorter, not exceeding 5,000 words (including stage directions). Send up to 2 drama submissions per issue.
The Stage Play must be a finished standalone piece, and must be a one act, ten minute play, or shorter. Send up to two play submissions per issue. Stage plays should be formatted according to the following guidelines: http://www.gordonstate.edu/PT_Faculty/lking/CPF_play_formatting2.pdf
The Screenplay should also be a standalone piece. The piece should be no longer than 30 pages, typed using 12 point Courier font. Screenplays may be submitted in .fdx format. Please use the United States Standard Screenplay format (http://www.finaldraft.com/mm_media/mm_pdf/How_to_Format_a_Screenplay.pdf).
Creative Nonfiction/Creative Flash Nonfiction Guidelines
Send essays and memoirs up to 3,000 words in length, or flash creative nonfiction up to 500 words in length. Submit up to 3 essays/memoirs per issue. Please double space all essays/memoirs and include a word count.